Saturday, August 6, 2011

Americana Fading in the Rear View Mirror

I just returned from a fantastic, simple family vacation and planned to write all about it as soon as I got back home. Little did I know that I would be moved to write about the back roads trip it took to get there.

My family of five, hubby, two sons under the age of 9, plus my 18 year old cousin who recently moved in needed a cheap, family friendly, close to home vacation. We decided to visit a state park with on site cabins to rent.

Lake Cumberland State Resort Park in Jamestown, Kentucky fit the bill. It was fabulous, but along the route I was transported back in time. Most of the driving was on a state route that has become famous in the last couple decades.

I had heard about Hwy 127, but had no idea that our drive would take us through The World's Longest Yard Sale. It was a feast for the eyes, and the more than 100 yard sales we passed driving to and from our vacation destination was just the beginning of this unique journey.

The back drop of mountains, farms, unusual homes, and wildlife provided a surprise around every turn. I documented the sights along the route mostly from the passenger seat of our moving vehicle, but the hubby did let me stop at one yard sale.

I snapped pictures of beautiful old barns, neat old road signs,antiques, buildings that looked as if time stood still just for them, and whatever quirky things caught my eye.

Sharing these pieces of Americana fading fast in the rear view mirror is a pleasure. Interstates allow us to get to our destination so much faster, but just think of all we miss in a hurry.

 
I Googled the Hwy. 127 yard sale and was surprised to learn it now extends 675 Miles from Michigan to Alabama. The idea for the sale was sparked in the 1980's as a way to show that back roads have something to offer that you just won't find on the interstate.

I enjoyed the slower pace, the gorgeous scenery, and the kind of adventure a road trip used to inspire. I could get used to this kind of travel. Who would have thought?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment